Thursday, July 31, 2014

The Drums' Johnny Aries Announces Debut Solo Album 'Unbloomed'

The Drums' guitarist Johnny Aries has announced he will release his debut solo album titled 'Unbloomed' on August 26 via French Kiss.

Aries moved from his native England to New York last year, and the album was recorded in Brooklyn, "it’s something a parting shot towards England and my old life," Aries says. "Some of the songs are me lamenting things I’ve done, but some are also about letting go and looking toward greener pastures."

"All of these songs were written as soon as I got to New York. I felt like I had a fresh start and I should make something unhinged from anything people expected from me. It was a clean page for me to start something exciting." He explains.

"I wanted to make a record, and it felt like the best chance to do that would be when I came to America. I wanted to take the upheaval of my old band breaking up and moving here, and all the changes that came with that, and push them into this.”

Unbloomed isn't all about feeling blue, though. "I’m just looking for happiness, really; I’m trying to make sense of everything going on around me. The best thing to come out of that is the lyrical quality of the songs—it’s romantic, I suppose." 

'Unbloomed' tracklist:

01. Unbloomed
02. This Grave Is My Bed Tonight
03. Bodybag
04. We’re Just Girls And Boys
05. To Be Desired
06. Human Nature
07. I’m A Dreamer
08. Ambulette Tape
09. You Belong To Me
10. Great Expectations

Aries has also shared the first taste of this solo effort "This Grave Is My Bed Tonight", a melancholic-pop song that has been added to our current playlist.

In related news, Aries' first record with The Drums 'Encyclopedia' will be released in September.

(facebook.com/johnnyariesmusic)