Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Watch: Oliver Marson Returns New Single/Video "Manipulator"


London-based post punk/synth pop artist Oliver Marson has returned with his new single "Manipulator", and its accompanying music video.

The song, recorded with Joshua Rumble (Black Country New Road, Clockworks) and mixed by Jorge Elbrecht (Ariel Pink, Kirin J Callinan), is out now. Grab it here.

Speaking about it, Marson says: Me and Josh had a lot of fun recording over the pandemic and now its finally time to throw these tracks out into the world. The track also features Christina Lopez (Empathy Test, Lava la Rue). Guitars, synths and vocals are played by myself. We recorded this in the pandemic alongside many other tracks, which will be released this year. When I made this I was very much inspired by the guitar sound of Drab Majesty, whose influences I am sure you will hear. Also mastered by Nick Watson at Fluid Mastering. 

“The lyrics were very much inspired by what was going on at the time. It was clear during the pandemic we were being totally manipulated whether that was by politicians, the media or the corporate classes. The first line of the song and overarching message addresses this ''we're sleepwalking with the loonies at the wheel' - we're basically heading into a crisis. We tried to get across this in the video through me playing a dodgy Wall Street banker. Obvious influences being American Psycho, Donald Trump, Boris Johnson, Wall Street and A Shock to the System. I enjoyed very much performing as this campy character, it was fun and I loved the DIY approach we took to filming it. The video might come across as a joke, but that's exactly the point - it is a joke, because all of this is so unavoidable. I am making ludicrous music for ludicrous times.”

The video was filmed by me and my sister Chantal Marson around Canary Wharf and in an unused office. The first line of the song and overarching message is that ''we're sleepwalking with the loonies at the wheel' and we tried to get across this in the video through me playing a dodgy Wall Street banker. Obvious influences being American Psycho, Donald Trump, Boris Johnson, Wall Street and A Shock to the System. I enjoyed very much performing as this campy character, it was fun and I loved the DIY approach we took to filming it.

Watch/listen below.



(facebook.com/oliver.marson)