Tuesday, October 19, 2021

New Entry: Phantom Limb Unleash New Single "Shave Your Head"

Birmingham, AL  indie rock/alt band Phantom Limb have unleashed their new single "Shave Your Head".

The song is taken from their upcoming sophomore album 'Pastoral', which will be available on November 16 through Earth Libraries. Get it here.

Frontman Andrew Laningham explains, “‘Shave Your Head’ is about needing to destroy a part of yourself in order to figure out which parts of life are the most crucial,” he explained. “When I was writing the lyrics to this song, I was stuck in a place where I felt like my daily routine of writing endless emails and working all the time was taking over my personal life. I started having these dreams where I was pulling out my teeth and shaving my head. I felt like I needed to cut off some part of my current self in order to feel normal again, which was scary.”

"‘Shave Your Head’ is built around this hocketed guitar part. Hocketing is this composition technique where you take a melody that could be played by one instrument, and split it up between multiple ones. It’s something Gregorian Monks used a lot in choral compositions. I think it’s interesting because two instruments are ‘sharing’ a musical idea, which is a theme I really liked playing with on this record."

Watch a lyric video below.