Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Watch: Revolution Above Disorder Drops New Single/Video "Illuminate"

Vancouver-based Dubliner Stephen Nicholas White a.k.a. Stevie Moonboots (The Orange Kyte/House of Dolls/The Subterranean Satellite Band/Magic Shoppe) post punk/psych/electronic solo project Revolution Above Disorder has dropped the video for his new single "Illuminate".

The song, produced by ACTORS' Jason Corbett, features on their upcoming three-track single, set to arrive on October 22 through Sonic Blew/[PIAS]. Pre-order your copy here.

Revolution Above Disorder is a melting pot of post-punk, psychedelic rock and electronic music with raw, sincere vocals underpinning the songs.

"Illuminate’ is the song that kick started Revolution Above Disorder. When the COVID-19 pandemic hit, I’d just come off a European tour with Magic Shoppe and I found myself having to cancel scheduled plans with The Orange Kyte. In my downtime I began to reevaluate where I was headed musically and I realized I’d become dissatisfied with what I’d been doing. As I searched through old demos from the past, some going back over a decade, I was excited to hear songs with real potential that either I’d abandoned or just plain forgotten about. I grew interested in the idea of this modern day version of myself collaborating with my chaotic and directionless former self. I wanted to finish what I’d started many years prior. '‘Illuminate’ was the first one I needed to record," says Stephen Nicholas White.

Where The Orange Kyte was an exercise in just saying yes to everything and seeing what happens, allowing the sound and personnel to morph, twist and evolve, Revolution Above Disorder differs insofar as there is a very well-defined and over-arching post-punk/psychedelic aesthetic driving the project. Unlike the lo-fi garage pop, thrown-together spirit of The Orange Kyte, the songs have all undergone the demoing process, and White has opted for a more polished and meticulously crafted approach in the studio with producer Jason Corbett.

With Revolution Above Disorder, White has rediscovered his first sonic love, a blend of psychedelic rock and post-punk suffused with strong electronic elements in the manner of bands like Primal Scream, Death in Vegas, UNKLE and Radiohead to earlier inspirations such as David Bowie, Brian Eno, Lou Reed, Iggy Pop, CAN and Kraftwerk.

Watch/listen below.