Monday, July 08, 2019

New Entry: Mystery Jets Share New Single "Hospital Radio"

London indie rock band Mystery Jets have shared their new single "Hospital Radio".

The song is out now through Caroline International, and is an ode to the NHS and the staff that have helped lead singer Blaine Harrison, who has spent a large portion of his life relying on local hospitals due to having Spina Bifida.

Harrison explains, “I was born in the NHS and it has saved my life several times over. I spent so much time on wards growing up that they became a second home to me and inspired the first song I wrote.

“Over the years, I have come to see NHS nurses and doctors as our guardian angels, beautifully portrayed at the 2012 Olympics opening ceremony. But austerity measures over recent years have meant that the spectre of privatization has become a very real, and threatening prospect.

“Whilst in hospital last month for on-going leg surgery, I lay in bed watching President Trump’s televised address to the British media, in which he boasted that NHS contracts would be part of future trade deals. It gave me the chills, as it must have done to many others. I felt especially fearful of what the future might hold for the elderly people in the beds around me, many of whom are already in danger of falling through the cracks of the social care system.

“Sometimes music can reach places deep within us that can’t be reached by words alone. On this, the 71st anniversary of the creation of the National Health Service, it feels right to release this song to express our gratitude.”



(facebook.com/mysteryjets)