Tuesday, April 12, 2022

New Entry: Nixer Premiere New Single "Decisions"


Irish electronic/dance/new wave duo Nixer (aka Seán Keenan and Gearóid Peggs) have premiered their addictive new single "Decisions".

The song is taken from their forthcoming debut EP 'People Feel', set to arrive on May 27th via Blowtorch Records. 

UPDATE 19/04/2022: "Decisions" is out new Single of the Week!

The unique sound of Nixer–built on elements of electronic dance and new wave influences–is in part the result of two contrasting musical backgrounds fusing together to spark a new sound. Peggs comes from an electronic production background and the sound of artists like Boy Harsher and Boys Noize, bringing those infectious electronic dance shuffles, synths and 808’s to the Nixer sound. On the other side of the coin, Keenan draws influence from the sonic worlds of artists like Alex G, King Krule, Fontaines D.C. and The Stone Roses, pairing his melodic guitar lines and distinctive vocals with Pegg's skilled production to create this unique and utterly gripping brand of alternative dance music. 

The infectious, dance floor-ready anthem "Decisions" makes it clear that Nixer’s emerging sound is unlike that of any of their peers, so much so that some of their fans have actually coined the term Éire Wave to describe it. Featuring a juxtaposition between playful sonics and an underlying sense of darkness, ‘Decisions’ fittingly kicks off the conceptual EP's story, largely rooted in themes of indecisiveness and uncertainty. The narrator’s struggle to simply decide between “beer or wine” sets the tone for the chaos that unfolds. 

Vocalist/guitarist Seán Keenan says of the track: 

“I’m literally the most indecisive person EVER, like ever, well like maybe there’s somebody out there who’s more decisive or I mean indecisive than me, maybe, I don’t know… Peggsy what do you think? Hahahaha. Anyway, what a banger, I had so much fun writing this tune. I’m delighted I’ve managed to immortalise one of the things that annoys me most about myself in a Nixer song. I really am tragically indecisive. It was a super involved and informed writing process, as was the whole EP, and to avoid getting overly personal I often messaged and called friends to hear what they had to say about the different concepts I was working on and writing about." 

"On Decisions I remember reaching out to James McGregor, the lead singer in The Clockworks, and Lorcan Donnellan, our guitarist for the live shows, both really great friends of mine and two really great writers. Their words of direction and analysis really helped me. When I asked Lorcan he said “But generally speaking, everybody makes shit loads of decisions on a night out. It's a really interesting question, presume you're writing a song about it and I really like the angle” and when I reflect on this, I am so happy that song writing is my favourite thing to do because looking back on that is beautiful.”

Stream it below.