Wednesday, October 08, 2014

Morrissey Reveals His Battle With Cancer

Our thoughts go out to Morrissey, as he has revealed that he has received a series of cancer treatments.

The announcement comes after the former Smiths singer cancelled part of a US tour when he was treated in hospital for a respiratory infection in June.

The 55-year-old musician told the Spanish newspaper El Mundo in a recent interview (via The Guardian): "I have had four cancer-scrapings, but so what. If I die, I die. If I don’t, then I don’t. As I sit here today, I feel very well."

Morrissey, who kicked off his latest European tour in Portugal Monday, added that while he has been affected by his illness, he promises to work hard nonetheless.

"I know I look quite bad on recent photographs," Morrissey wrote to El Mundo, "but I am afraid this is what illness does to the overall countenance. I will save relaxation for when I’m dead."

In this latest interview, Morrissey stated that he is “now at an age when I should no longer be making music … Many composers of classical music died at age 34. And I’m still here, and nobody knows what to do with me,” he said. The 55-year-old is currently finishing his debut novel, which he hopes to publish next year. “With luck I will be able to stop singing forever, which would make many people happy!”

He also scrapped 22 US concerts last year due to ill health. His other recent ailments have included pneumonia, an ulcer, the throat condition Barrett's oesophagus and anaemia.