Monday, March 25, 2013

Depeche Mode's Dave Gahan Opens Up About His Infamous Overdose In 1996

In 1996, Depeche Mode frontman, Dave Gahan 'died' for two minutes when he overdosed on a speedball, which is heroin and cocaine combined.

In a recent interview, Gahan talked about how he felt at that time.

"The first thing I realised in the hospital was that I exited my body. I was floating underneath the ceiling and could observe exactly what was happening underneath me: Paramedics were running around my body and tried to save me. I screamed that I wasn’t actually lying down there but above them." He explained.

"I believe it was my soul screaming which had already left my body and became a witness of what happened to my body. At that point I was clinically dead, my heart wasn't beating. These seconds seemed like hours to me. And suddenly, there was a complete, frightening darkness around me. As if someone had turned off the light."

When he finally came around, the star woke up in handcuffs for being in possession of drugs. "When I woke up, I was tied to the bed with handcuffs. Policemen were standing in front of me and read my rights to me. I was arrested because of possession of cocaine and heroin."

"The court let me do a therapy. For about a year, I lived in a detoxification clinic with other drug addicts and alcoholics. I regularly had to do a urine test. If they had found a prohibited substance only once, I would have had to go to jail in Los Angeles for two years. I was really afraid of this. For the first time in my life, it became clear to me that I am not immortal." He added.