Friday, March 22, 2013

Depeche Mode Reveal They Turned Down Brits Lifetime Achievement Award

Depeche Mode have said they were offered a BRIT award, but their segment wouldn't be broadcast. 

Speaking to The Sun at their video shoot for 'Soothe My Soul', frontman Dave Gahan started off saying "Fuck the Brits", then he explained what had happened between Depeche Mode and Brits organisers:

"I will probably get someone in trouble, but we were told we were getting a new award this year. Most Influential Band In The Last 20 Years or something? Basically the old bastard, Lifetime Achievement Award and we said, 'Yes that’s cool'. Then we heard through the grapevine ITV wouldn't broadcast our segment. So we said, 'If they won’t play us on air, then we’re not going to be their most influential band." 

"How many other bands have had as many hits as us worldwide and been around for as long? Fuck them then and bollocks to it." He added.

Gahan also spoke about his past alcoholism, saying that it used to be more difficult for him to avoid drinking (the star 'died' for two minutes in 1996 when he overdosed on a speedball, which is heroin and cocaine combined).

"It was difficult as we were on the road and that’s always difficult to avoid drinking," he said. "I just got to a point where I knew if I carried on then I wouldn't be alive for much longer. I was drinking all day — literally getting up and drinking with breakfast.

"I’m just thankful some of the madness missed the age of smartphones. Back in the day when I was drinking and out of control I would have been all over YouTube. Just for the fun of it I’d just get naked in hotel bars. Can you imagine doing that now?". He finished

Depeche Mode will release their 13th studio album Delta Machine in the UK on March 25 and a day later in the US.