Monday, October 22, 2012

New Order's Bernard Sumner: "I’d just like to make another album"

New Order frontman Bernard Sumner has revealed more on the reunited band’s plans to record a new album. In an interview with Billboard, Sumner talked about his hopes of adding a brand new album to the comeback trail.

"I'd just like to make another album," he explained. "I'm getting a creative itch that I need to scratch. Playing live is great, but it's not a creative thing, really. It's a reproductive thing. I'd quite like to make an electronic record, because we've not made one for quite a while really."

Sumner also gave his opinion on the bassist's recent announcement that he will tour the first two New Order albums with The Light in January next year, saying: "I think it sucks to be honest. We found out that he was touring 'Unknown Pleasures' through the press. He didn't tell us, which we thought was pretty low. It just seems like a real commercial thing to do."

"He seems to be doing it for the money," he added. "To me, Joy Division and New Order were never about that. I thought it was disrespectful to the rest of us. But I must admit that once he started doing it, we did think, 'What are we doing holding back with New Order?' So, in a way - if you'll excuse the pun - he showed us the light."